St. George & St. Rueiss Coptic Orthodox Church
Toronto, ON., Canada

His Holiness the late Thrice Pope Shenouda asked Dr. Mahfouz Awad, currently known as Fr. Rueiss Awad, to start a new church in the heart of Toronto. He asked him to build the largest possible Church, and to finish it from within gradually. Mahfouz proposed the name of "St. George & St. Rueiss" for the new church. Pope Shenouda agreed to this name at the Papal Residence in Anba Rueiss Abassya Cairo, on Thursday June 15, 1989.

Mahfouz was ordained and became Father Rueiss on the Feast of the Pentecost on Sunday June 18, 1989.The newly ordained priest has to spend 40 days after his ordination in a monastery. Father Rueiss went to the monastery of Anba Bishoy in Wadi Elnatron, Egypt.

His return to Toronto was on Sunday August 6, 1989, and he was received at St. Mark Church in Scarborough. His first Divine Liturgy was at St. Mark on Sunday August 13, 1989.


School Curriculum

The Coptic Orthodox Sunday School Curriculum was created as a tool to help maintain our Orthodox faith.

Prep Curriculum

The Servant’s Preparation Curriculum is a key tool to utilize for all Sunday School teaching.


These lessons will educate & equip the servants of Christ to better deal with the practical challenges that our children and youth face today.


Pope of Alexandria and the Patriarch of the Holy Apostolic See of Saint Mark the
Evangelist of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

1923 - 2012